Too many clicks

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 8 22:46:13 UTC 2008

Oftentimes hearing that 'there are too many clicks' is a symptom of
other problems, such as the fact that it's too hard to figure out
which clicks are necessary to achieve the desired goal, that after a
click things take too long to load, or (as in the example below) that
the system requires repeated confirmation of things users expect it
to remember.

The Sakai UX DG & some UX folks on the Fluid project were recently
discussing the issues which could arise if users are confused because
the system saves state--the non-working back button is certainly one
of those (http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/UI/Sakai+UX
+Issues+and+Discussions). Daphne Ogle and I are currently conducting
'contextual inquiries' (which involves watching users work and asking
them questions as necessary) with Sakai users, and this was
definitely a source of confusion for the users we have talked to. We
were thinking that it would be good for someone to take on the
project of figuring out where in Sakai saving state causes problems
and documenting it (perhaps we could start on the above referenced
web page, and if there is enough interest, create a new web page just
for this issue).

I am aware that Sakai's ability to save state when working in
multiple tools is helpful to some users (usually instructors), and
really do understand why those folks would like to see the system
remain as is. However, I believe that the problems it causes for
numerous other users (e.g. non-power users like students) does not
outweigh this benefit. At the Fluid Summit we started thinking about
ways to give those instructors the functionality they were looking
for without saving state (such as the "Suspend - Inject - Resume"
component near the bottom of this page: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/
x/8QEa), but have not fully fleshed out any solutions. I'm hopeful
that a solution can be found to give instructors similar
functionality without actually saving state.

Cheers,
Allison

Allison Bloodworth
Senior User Interaction Designer