UX planning update

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 1 22:10:37 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Shaw-Han and I met to talk about some logistics around planning --
particularly how jira, confluence & card meeting can support our
activities.  Shaw-Han has been spending time to figure our the best
way to use jira and alleviate multiple task management locations.

Confluence for current iteration tasks:  http://wiki.fluidproject.org/
x/chca
Confluence for next iteration tasks:  http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/
WRka
Jira:  http://issues.fluidproject.org  -  I can't figure out the best
way to filter to certain tasks or the tasks for a project.  Shaw-Han
(or anyone else) do you have any ideas here?

Here's an update on what we discussed/decided:

-Shaw-Han entered all current iteration task into jira.  They are
categorized under the project (component field in jira) they're
related to (i.e. user testing, walkthroughs, CIs, component design,
uCamp).  Everyone please take some time to assign any tasks you've
worked on.  Enter the time you worked on them -- for now as a comment
and soon we'll have a specific field for it.  It's easier (on the
memory) to enter the time you spent on tasks at the end of each day
but for sure we'll need this done by our planning meeting on Tuesday.

-Once a task is complete, please mark it as resolved.  At the end of
the iteration that's how we'll track what we got done.

-There are some cases where activities took significant time and we
hadn't accounted for them in the iteration (Allison & Eli's time
spent on interviewing for the Kuali UX lead position for instance).
Please add tasks for those and include the time you spent on them so
we can get a more realistic velocity measurement.

Below is targeted at project leads but probably good information for
everyone -- only leads have action items from it:

-In other cases, we've found tasks should have been broken down
differently to allow for it (or part of it) to get done in an
iteration.  An example of this is the Contextual Inquiry (CI) tasks.
I created tasks for each CI that were meant to be inclusive of
recruiting, travel time, the CI & note processing and management.  As
it turns out much time has been spent on recruiting for many of the
CIs and the rest of the task hasn't always been completed (or will
not be completed by end of iteration).  In that case, I'm going to
seperate out recruiting from the rest of the card since it's not
necessarily done in the same time period as the rest of the task.  If
there are other similar cases like this, project leads please feel
free to make adjustments (we are learning a lot already about our
process -- how flexible of us!).

-We'll go ahead and leave higher level release tasks in cardmeeting
for now and figure out a way to present them as part of the release
plan so the community has a view into our plans.  So leads, use card
meeting to see what we have planned for this release (Jan - March)
and determine what needs to be done in each iteration.

-For iteration tasks,  please enter them in the confluence space for
this iteration, http://wiki.fluidproject.org/x/WRka, like we did last
time.  There are some additions we are waiting for in jira that will
allow us to enter them directly in jira and display in confluence but
for now (so we don't cause confusion) just add them to the table in
jira.  I added a few tasks already including several ongoing tasks
that we should be accounting for.

Shaw-Han, have I missed anything?

Thanks -- and let myself or Shaw-Han know if you have any questions
about any of this!

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
daphne at media.berkeley.edu