Date Picker Show & Tell Part 2

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 2 17:52:20 UTC 2008

Just a little clarification on what I tested and the results. Erin's
comments are essentially correct but I want to rephrase it slightly so
that there isn't any confusion.

I tested what happens when a page is scrolled to the bottom of the
browser window (geekily known as the viewport) and an absolutely
positioned element is popped-up (displayed) at or near the bottom of a
page with part of the element extending below the bottom edge of the
browser window.

As expected the size of the page is extended so that the scrolling
area of browser encompasses the displayed item and the user can scroll
to the bottom of the absolutely positioned element.

This test was done with Firefox.

- Eli

On Dec 2, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Erin Yu wrote:

> We had a productive discussion about the date and time picker with
> Antranig and Jonathan at the all-hands.  One of the technical
> concerns was that since the time picker wheel is fixed around the
> text field, it might get cut off when the text field is at the very
> bottom of the page. Eli did a quick test and was able to tell us
> that when the the time picker pops up at the bottom of the page, the
> extra area of the page can become scrollable to show the full length
> of the time picker.

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley