Progress Indicators - Rough Draft (please comment)

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 29 18:35:18 UTC 2008

Very nice Justin! One general comment--I think the vertical line above
the feature should also change color when it's done. Otherwise it
looks like it's still in progress to me. A few other responses &
comments below...

On Aug 29, 2008, at 10:39 AM, Justin wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Justin <justin.obara at utoronto.ca>
>> Date: August 29, 2008 1:39:45 PM GMT-04:00
>> To: Jonathan Hung <jonathan.hung at utoronto.ca>
>> Subject: Re: Progress Indicators - Rough Draft (please comment)
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> see comments inline below
>>
>> thanks
>> Justin
>>
>> On 29-Aug-08, at 12:37 PM, Jonathan Hung wrote:
>>
>>> 1. I like the words better. Easier to see at a glance where things
>>> are at.

I also like the words better for the same reason.

>>> 2. Perhaps using a {panel} instead? That way you also get more
>>> options for colours etc. Also, this may not be an appropriate use
>>> of an info box. :)
>>
>> I have put some of the examples in panels, and put up a few
>> different color schemes.

I agree, the info box may not be right, but it might be helpful see it
in the context of a component page to decide for sure.

>>> 3. They can be. Hard to say in this example.
>>
>> The links may be less necessary when they are on the actual
>> component pages.

I love the links to the storycards! I put in anchors on the inline
edit storycards which you should be able to use as well.

>>> 4. Acronyms (like "I.E.") made me think. Maybe if we used up to 2
>>> lines to describe the function it would be better.
>>
>> I like this idea, but not too sure how to implement it. Any
>> thoughts.. maybe if they were in columns... I'll see if I can cook
>> up an example of that.

A while back I added the Confluence HTML plug-in (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFEXT/HTML+Plugin
). You might be able to use this to make tables more easily?

>>> 5.
>>> - Is the purpose of the indicator to *NOT* show features that are
>>> in progress, right? only complete or in complete features?
>>
>> I'm not sure if it should show partial progress. One of the
>> uploader examples shows partial progress. Any thoughts on this? It
>> may turn out that the features won't even have a usable partially
>> complete state.

It would be helpful to me to know what features the developers are
actually working on, even if they don't end up being finished.
However, it might be difficult to keep it updated, so I can always
just ping them if this is too much work. Then there is also the
question of whether we show that a feature is in the design process
and then also development process (e.g. use different colors and the
first part of the progress bar for design and second part for
development)? Again, might be too much maintenance, but I think that's
your call.

>>> - Sometimes feature implementation doesn't occur in a sequential
>>> manner, I guess we would edit the progress bar if the order has
>>> changed around?
>>
>> That will probably be the easiest. If the features are laid out in
>> progressive stages it will be less likely that edits will be needed.
Yup, I think moving features around the bar makes sense as they are
completed. If multiple features are in progress and we are showing 'in
progress', it might get a little tricky to understand. But maybe
adding link to a key explaining how the progress indicator works under
each indicator would help.

>>> Looking good!
>>>

>>> ---
>>> Jonathan Hung / jonathan.hung at utoronto.ca
>>> University of Toronto - ATRC
>>> Tel: (416) 946-3002
>>>

>>> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Justin
>>> <justin.obara at utoronto.ca> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have been working on the progress indicators for the fluid
>>> components. These indicators are supposed to show how far along in
>>> development a component is.
>>>
>>> Please take a look and let me know what you think.
>>>
>>> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Component+Progress+Indicator
>>>

>>> I also have some specific questions.
>>>
>>> What style is better? (words or numbers with a numbered list)
>>> Does having it in an info box help or hinder?
>>> Are the links useful?
>>> Are the features accurate/clear? (for Layout Customizer and
>>> Reorderer I am still developing a list of features. Any
>>> suggestions?)
>>> Any other comments, questions, concerns and etc.
>>>

>>> Thank You
>>> Justin

Allison Bloodworth
Senior User Interaction Designer