Section Info based inline edit sample

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 27 17:15:02 UTC 2008

These do seem the best of the choices we've seen so far and I think
they work well in their context. But I agree with you Eli that
displaying them as a set adds to their clarity.   On top of the real
estate issue for displaying both, our undo and redo are a one time
action so I don't think they are ever available together.   The
additional challenge and vagueness for us in contexts like section
info is that the proximity of the icon ends up being closer to the
next field then the text that was edited if it's shorter than the text
field itself.  If we use text now for testing we can get a feel for
whether or not users get our undo and redo.  We can easily get
feedback on icons later without running an entire test.

As a total aside:  We could rethink them and implement true undo and
redos (not restricting to undoing only last change).  We wouldn't want
to make the change just so we can show them together Allison and I
have been discussing exploring true undos and redos -- particularly if
one of the Sakai UX or uPortal announcements context require it.  True
undo complicates the interaction for the user with much more memory
load but we could build in reminders of the previous edits and let
them choose which one to go to.

-Daphne

daphne at media.berkeley.edu
cell (510)847-0308