Section Info based inline edit sample

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 26 20:51:44 UTC 2008

Looks good Eli!  Nice work!

A couple of things:

-  Until we come up with a meaningful icon I vote for using text to
make it clear what the user can do.  The addition of undo adds some
challenge for the user to not only figure out what one icon does but
what 2 siimilar only mirrored icons do.  Because of their similarity
its also more difficult to distinguish between them and when they
change.

-  Just an FYI for everyone -- there is still a debate about the
usefulness and need for redo in the simple text field edit context
here.  We are hoping user testing will help us better understand the
tradeoffs of adding the complexity versus how often redo is actually
needed.

-Daphne

On Aug 26, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Justin wrote:

> Hi Eli,
>
> I've been checking it out today. It looks good.
>
> I've added it to the Inline Edit QA test plan. Now we will be able
> to do QA testing on the undo/redo functionality.
>
> Thanks
> Justin
>
> On 26-Aug-08, at 3:34 PM, Eli Cochran wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>> The Section Info based inline edit sample is pretty much done.
>>
>> There is a little bit of accessibility work to be done with the
>> Undo/Redo, Undo/Redo is in the wrong tab order because I'm floating
>> it right. I'm doing this for formatting reasons and I can fix it
>> with a little more sophisticated markup when I get a chance. Also
>> when you activate Undo or Redo, the focus should stay on the Undo/
>> Redo link.
>>
>> But other than that, I think that it's in good shape. Certainly
>> good enough for testing and for beta.
>>
>> Inline Edit and the Undo code are very fun to work with. Kudos to
>> those who developed on the code. Very easy to implement. Well, I
>> had a little trouble with Undo, but once Colin helped me with an
>> undocumented and slightly confusing API change, it worked like a
>> charm.
>>
>> Please check it out: http://build.fluidproject.org/fluid/sample-code/inline-edit/section-info/section-info.html
>>
>> - Eli

>> Eli Cochran