declaring jQuery objects with the $foo pattern

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 21 18:40:19 UTC 2008

Hi,
There is a little discussion on the jQuery Google Group about using $
when declaring variables that contain a jQuery object.

So:

	var $foo = $("div");

instead of just:

	var foo = $("div");

Any opinions.

I have a case, in the scroller, were I have to refer to an element
both as a jQuery object and a DOM object (because jQuery doesn't
support the method that I need) and it would make the code perhaps
clearer... at least to those who know the convention. Perhaps more
confusing to those who don't.

- Eli

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer