state management plug-in idea

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 15 14:45:10 UTC 2008

Jacob,

On 15-Aug-08, at 2:27 PM, Jacob Farber wrote:

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding the Template Renderer, but should all
> this logic be handled by the templating system?

In this case, we're talking about dynamic states for a component. The
template renderer's job is to bind data to a static template in order
to generate the markup needed by a component. This is generally done
at initialization time or at key moments during the component's
lifecycle.

States will change and be manipulated as a product of user interaction
with the component. In other words, dynamically. So managing state and
their appearance in the DOM is not really a job for the renderer, but
rather an API available to component Views.