An interesting read

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 13 16:40:31 UTC 2008

Very interesting article.

One audience for captioning not reflected in the article is search
engines. Machine readable captions allow search engines to search
auditory and visual content. The question becomes is it better to
search a transcription or a translation. Ideally both.

In an ideal world all captioning would provide multiple tracks
presenting various translations as well as a transcriptions.

- Eli

On Aug 13, 2008, at 7:00 AM, Jonathan Hung wrote:

> Cool. Nice to see them trying to educate the masses. I hope their
> popularity will reach some people with respect to accessibility.
>
> I totally agree that translation and transcription need to be
> improved. All the nuances and context are lost through transforming
> audio into words. The statistic about deaf illiteracy is also really
> interesting. Makes you wonder who captioning is really for?
> Insomniac husbands with a sleeping spouse I guess.
>
> Good to see this kind of article wander by.
>
> ---
> Jonathan Hung / jonathan.hung at utoronto.ca
> University of Toronto - ATRC
> Tel: (416) 946-3002
>

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Jacob Farber <jacob.farber at utoronto.ca
> > wrote:
> Sometimes ALA has something good to say....
>
> Deafness and the User Experience
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/deafnessandtheuserexperience

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer