Unconference topics

Eric Dalquist eric.dalquist at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 12 23:04:39 UTC 2008

I just wanted to share a topic idea I'm hoping to chat with people about
at the Unconference this fall and perhaps work on during the developer
meeting time at the end of the week. There may be more emails like this
coming as people suggest other ideas. I'd encourage others to do the
same and get some seeds going on the lists that can translate into good
topics in Madison in October.

- Using Spring Web Flow 2 for Administrative UIs
    As the world moves toward portlets and features are added or
re-worked in uPortal 3 we need to find a replacement for IChannel and
the related Servant APIs that will allow us to use existing MVC
frameworks. After some discussion among the uPortal developers Spring
WebFlow 2 was chosen as a likely successor to these technologies as it
allowed for more standard portlet API based development but also
provided the View and Controller re-use that the IChannel Servant API
gave us. An example of this is the Identity and Attribute swapper
utilities that will be included in uPortal 3.1 These share a common
'Person Lookup' flow which contains both the view and controller logic
and can be treated much like an API call by both portlets that use the
results for either identity or attribute swapping.

    The goal of using Spring WebFlow is to provide a library of discrete
user interfaces that can easily be used by any other administrative tool
within the uPortal framework. To that end we plan on having session that
review in more detail the actually implementation of the flows in
uPortal 3.1, the pros and cons of using WebFlow and what the next
administrative UIs to be targeted should be. Also during the following
developers meeting days we will actually be working on implementing
flows for anyone that has an interested in becoming familiar with using
WebFlow in a portlet.

-Eric

For more information about the Unconference:
http://www.ja-sig.org/wiki/display/JCON/Fall+2008+Unconference+Madison