inline edit specifications question

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 11 21:33:32 UTC 2008

Good catch about the screenshots not being exactly the same! As Daphne
and I have updated our storyboards as we've talked with each other and
received feedback, they got a little out of sync. I just made an
effort to fix that that by pulling them into both the Inline Edit main
page and the Inline Edit Specification page as excerpts from the
storyboard pages. If we stayed with this format, it would be easier
for us to keep things consistent across the different pages. However,
the downside is that you can only excerpt one section of a page at a
time, so I couldn't excerpt multiple images (which some of the
components on the Specification page did have before).

In answer to your question, Daphne & I think the wireframes on the
Specification page could be used a couple of different ways:

1) to represent (at a high level) the different types of inline edit
components we expect to build (most likely with just a single image).
They would just provide a quick visual on what these components are,
and the detail for building them would be found on the storyboard page
(linked next to them). These screenshots are also the same as the ones
the front of the main Inline Edit working page: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Inline+Edit
. This option has the advantage of allowing us to use excerpts to keep
everything synchronized.

2) to show all possible screens and interactions which the developers
may encounter. In this case, I believe we'd pull in quite a few more
of the images/wireframe (maybe 1/3 - 1/2?) from the storyboards onto
the Specification page. This option has the disadvantage of making it
a little more difficult to keep things updated, as the images/
wireframes will be in several places as we couldn't use excerpts.

We'd love to have feedback from the developers as to which option
you'd prefer. Is it overwhelming to have to look at the full
storyboards to understand all the interactions? Would it be easier if
we included wireframes of all the key screens on the Specification
page (as sort of a subset of the storyboards)? Is there anything else
you need on the Specification page?

We'd like to make sure the Specification page as usable as possible
for you, so let us know what you need to work with the information
most efficiently. And we can certainly continue to adapt the page as
you use it and learn what works best.

Cheers,
Allison