Uploader User Testing Results & Redesign

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 8 23:32:49 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

I believe all the Berkeley & Toronto results from the User Testing are
available at this page: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/File+Uploader+User+Testing+-+Round+2+Results
  as I've added mine. I see John has posted his results here: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/File+Uploader+User+Testing+-+Round+2+Results+JC
  so we will probably all want to do a quick review of all of them
prior to the meeting.

Cheers,
Allison

On Aug 8, 2008, at 11:47 AM, Paul Zablosky wrote:

> Erin,
>     That time works for John and me as well.  See you there.
> Paul
>
> Erin Yu wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We''re in the process of documenting the findings and
>> recommendations from the Uploader user testing:
>> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/File+Uploader+User+Testing+-+Round+2+Results
>> (John at UBC: Feel free to add to this page, so all of our results are
>> in one place. Once we do another design iteration and another set
>> of user testing, we'll make use of the Round 3 page you've
>> created. :)
>>
>> It would be great if those of us who sat with the users and anyone
>> else interested could meet early next week to discuss the findings
>> and ideas for improvements.
>>

>> Here's an overview of the main issues we collectively discovered:
>>
>> 1) Discovering multiple upload: We could put a simple text such as
>> "Select multiple" to let the users know it's possible. Full
>> instructions on how to select multiple files can be included.
>>
>> 2) Pause: It is a stretch to expect users to Pause before adding
>> ore removing files to/from the upload queue. There are a few
>> suggestions regarding this one.
>>
>> 3) Progress bar: Some users found the individual progress bar AND
>> the total progress bar confusing.
>>
>> 4) Errors: If upload is unsuccessful, we display a warning message
>> but don't allow users to take any actions. Instead of displaying
>> the warning sign and no options to take any actions, we could
>> provide [Try again] and [Remove] buttons.
>>

>> How does next Tuesday at 2pm EST/ 11am PST sound for everyone?
>>
>> Erin

Allison Bloodworth
Senior User Interaction Designer
(415) 377-8243