JS build systems and maven

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 1 16:09:12 UTC 2008

Ian,

The short answer is that we wanted a simple build process that helps
with the following:

  * Minifying all our JavaScript and CSS files for distribution (for
speed)
  * Building a single, concatenated file containing all Fluid
JavaScript code (also for speed)
  * Building and zipping simple distribution package containing all
Fluid code
  * Automatically validating of our code using JSLint

While the Maven JSTools Plugin you mention does some of these tasks,
it doesn't seem to handle minification and concatenation unless I've
overlooked something. More to the point, we found it much easier to
write a simple Ant script to do this than continue to wrangle with
Maven. It worked for us, but other projects will inevitably have
different needs.

Colin