Design and Development Process

michelle.dsouza at utoronto.ca michelle.dsouza at utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 21 20:55:47 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

In preparation for the summit, I've been thinking about how we as the
Fluid community can better integrate designers and developers. My
original thoughts, based on what we've done so far in Fluid led me to
create this page on design and development process for Fluid.

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Design+and+Development+Process

It didn't take very long for me to realize that although this process
would result in a great user experience, it wasn't very practical. At
this point in the Fluid project we have the luxury of lots of design
resources but of course this is not the reality for our projects where
designers are difficult to come by. As a developer, I've always found
this to be a difficult position to be in. I want to create better UIs
but have never been very clear on what constitutes 'better'. I don't
have a lot of time to spend on UI so I'd like to spend that time well.
To this end, I've done some research and put together a *short* list
of design tips for developers. I've kept the list to 5 points because
I know that I'm not likely to have the time for more then that.

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Design+Tips+for+Developers

This is a work in progress and I welcome your feedback and
suggestions. This may make for an interesting conversation at one of
the joint sessions at the summit.

Michelle