Is "component" a misnomer? Is a higher level term needed?

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 19 17:52:24 UTC 2007

Hi Sean,

I don't think we are discouraging folks from suggesting potential
solutions if they are knowledgeable about the problem space; in fact,
we have a place on our Walk-through reporting template for both
"Suggestions for solution" and "Component Identified?" We just don't
want those suggestions to be the main focus of our discussion.  I
think our goal in trying to talk about user "pain points" or
"problematics" as opposed to components is two-fold:

1) To make sure we don't lose sight of the user needs which prompted
our component suggestions.
2) To ensure we don't inadvertently limit ourselves to just the
components already suggested.

Looking at all the different needs/pain points the group has come up
as a whole, and discussing them as a group, might point us to
different components than those suggested by individual evaluators to
address (often single) pain points. We also want to keep the
discussion at a high enough level to facilitate looking at connecting
problems/pain points, or even coming up with more innovative, far-
reaching solutions to problems.

Allison

Allison Bloodworth
Senior User Interaction Designer