Is "component" a misnomer? Is a higher level term needed?

Sean Keesler smkeesle at syr.edu
Wed Sep 19 14:46:45 UTC 2007

Regarding your comment (if I understand it right) that folks doing
walkthroughs probably should not try to ³design a solution² (because they
might come up with something unimplementable):

While doing my UI review of the OSP matrix tool

(for example: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/mLg)

I tried to be careful to make justified statements about what problems
existed in the tool UI and to offer some possible recommendations for
improvement, much like Paul did for the ³tabs problem² below.

However, Paul  and I did plunge into the solution space. He made 2
recommendations for solutions. I also tried to offer multiple
recommendations in order to try to spark discussion around the problem by
functional experts and support staff that actually understand how the system
will be used. I¹m fairly confident that I¹m not WAY off the deep end and
suggesting the impossible.

I personally would not want to do reviews that amounted to pile of Œgripes¹
or identified problems. I feel that you need to be able to make some
justified recommendations if you want to complain. That implies putting your
toe in the solution space. It also implies some level of knowledge about
what might be reasonable.

A discussion before developers get involved to really lay down requirements
INDEPENDENT of developer input is an important step. After the functional/UX
group understands what they really want, then they should be able to engage
developers more thoughtfully.

I tend to think that the technical folks have a tendency to want to drive
the boat, rather than take us where we want to be sometimes.

My 2 cents...

Sean Keesler
The Living SchoolBook
030 Huntington Hall