Is "component" a misnomer? Is a higher level term needed?

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 19 03:18:12 UTC 2007

I think we are talking about a couple of ideas here:

1) The concept we have in mind when we use the term "component".
As we've progressed through the walkthroughs, and discussed pain
points and components, it's been clear that component has a specific
meaning in many people's minds.  During the call we decided this
tends to be a low level of granularity, perhaps widget,  than how we
want to think about Fluid components.  A Fluid component/reusable
solution could be an entire workflow like a wizard or perhaps an
entire tool, say a Dashboard and also widgets.    So the question is,
do we need terminology (and is there any) that better represents the
concept of how we are thinking about components/reusable solutions
that doesn't bring baggage with it?

2) Thinking solutions too early was constraining our thinking
Again, while doing the walkthroughs what we were finding by trying to
label pain points with a component solution this early is that it was
constraining our thinking a bit to the widget level since they tend
to be easier to see while your in the details and are more common. So
for the component ID and prioritization activity at the summit, we
decided we want to talk about pain points and user activities rather
than arrive with a solution in mind.  We also want to include context
in our discussion, so rather than saying we need an organizer
component, we want to talk about the bigger picture:  we need a way
to organize thumbnail images and a way to organize files and also
need a way to organize tools in a site or portlets in a portal.  Then
we can figure out what part of these are common across all
applications, specific to Sakai but across it's tools, or perhaps
specific to Sakai, a tool and a site type.  We can build components
at the right level and for the right goals.

-Daphne

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
daphne at media.berkeley.edu