Alertbox: Tabs, Used Right

Paul Zablosky Paul.Zablosky at ubc.ca
Mon Sep 17 20:29:15 UTC 2007

What Nielsen says of his example is that "It uses tabs to *alternate
between views* within the same context".  This is somewhat imprecise
language, since it is not clear what he means by "context", but I agree
with him about the Amazon site.  There, the user selects a tab to go
from the public banner display to the personalized display through a
login -- a context change if there ever was one.

(His use of the word 'alternate' is also pretty sloppy diction, but
common enough that it doesn't obscure his meaning.)

I'd say that point 4 ("tabs are roughly *parallel in nature*") provides
a much better guideline than "views within the same context".  Also, his
point about never needing to display what is behind more than one tab at
a time is something  to always keep in mind.

If the Sakai tabs meet the requirements of points 2, 3, and 4, then
strict adherence to point 1 seems less important.

Paul