Progress on the uPortal Heuristic

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 15 01:55:22 UTC 2007

Hi there,

I spent several hours on the uPortal Heuristic this evening, http://
wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Walkthrough+-+Ed+%28Student%29
+Persona+%28Dogle%29.

Turned out that just doing the heuristic turned up many issues that I
identified.  Several are related to the portal and portlet navigation/
wrappers but I also reported several issues on the content within the
portlets.   I still have a couple pages to evaluate.  This was really
useful for me and I think not completely understanding how the portal
and portlets work was probably an advantage for me in seeing what a
student might see.  I'm a little concerned that I've gotten into too
much detail in the portlet content but as we've been discussing, we
may want to make design suggestions back to the owner and/or create
some patterns and components that will be used by portlet
developers.  Does someone want to sanity check me?

I'll try to finish this up over the weekend and turn to the cognitive
walkthroughs next week.

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
daphne at media.berkeley.edu