Specific content management links of interest...

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 13 17:26:59 UTC 2007

HI there,

After the resources call I thought I'd point out some more links
regarding the UX Walkthroughs and content management that might be of
interest for folks.  I'm copying the fluid community in case anyone
else wants to add anything.   I'm really looking forward to having
some of these conversations face to face at the summit.

1)  Here's a list of component ideas we've been thinking about so
far:  http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Component+Suggestions.
These have come from various places and thus we don't have a shared
meaning yet.  Work at the summit will drive us toward a shared
understanding.   I hypothesize that many in the list will end up
having overlap in needs and thus roll up into one component...with
various properties, etc. to allow for implementation in a specific
context.

2) Content management scenarios we're using for the Sakai UX
Walkthroughs:  http://wiki.fluidproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?
pageId=1704469

3) Sakai Results (in progress):  http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/
fluid/Sakai+UX+Walkthrough+Results

This work is making us all rethink what it means to manage content in
the respective products (if you're really curious check out this
interesting thought exercise on uPortal and content management:
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Content+Management+-
+uPortal+Usability+and+Accessibility).  We really need new
terminology since content management is such a loaded term.  Perhaps
"creation, organization & presentation of course materials" is a
better way to refer to it in Sakai.  What we find as we think about
this from the instructor's perspective is that it takes us all the
way back to site creation since how the site is organized forms the
basis for organization and presentation and in some ways creation
(collaborative authoring for instance).

On the call today, Clay mentioned that it's difficult to see how
components relate to (or are derived from maybe) the content
management  focus.  This is another place where we use "loaded"
terminology.  In Fluid when we refer to components it's more than how
components have typically been implemented.  So we aren't just
talking about widgets, although some will be more widgety,  but even
larger chunks of functionality that can be implemented as a
component.  For example, Harriet and I were talking about this idea
of allowing multiple views on files (like Apple's Finder or Window's
Explorer).  This entire piece of functionality could potentially be a
component -- not just the widget to switch between views but the
views themselves too (layout, sorting, etc.).  This is a hypothetical
example and we are continuing to better understand how much can be
included in a component.   Context is soooo important in design so a
big challenge is how much can be generalized before we are unable to
include contextual needs in the behavior.  The "views" needed and the
interaction within them are different for a group of documents than
for a group images fro instance.  Can those contextual needs be built
into a component?

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
daphne at media.berkeley.edu