Draft DHTML Developer's Checklist

Eli Cochran eli at elicochran.com
Wed Sep 12 04:35:35 UTC 2007

Colin,
Great work.

Here are my comments...

I agree with Aaron that there need to be some specific examples for
all points. I'll try to come up with a few.

Here are a few specific points:

1. One thing that should be added, it's not specifically DHTML
although DHTML makes the situation worse, is to structure the flow of
page or widget semantically, even if the layout as displayed in the
browser is different.

 From Cascading Style Sheets And Accessibility (http://xhtml.com/en/
css/css-and-accessibility/):

> CSS positioning allows designers to make any (X)HTML element appear
> (i.e. visually appear) anywhere on a Web page. For instance,
> absolute positioning literally removes the element from the normal
> document flow, so that the element's position on the screen is
> quite different from the position occupied by the element in the
> markup.
>
> Since a screen reader will process the element in the position in
> which it appears in the markup, it is important to be aware if the
> position of the element is different when it is read visually.
> Failing to allow for this difference can result in confusion and
> loss of information for users who cannot see the visual rendering
> of the page.

2. Avoid overriding built-in types <-- I would add "and methods".

3. There have a been a number of really good articles as of late on
clean namespace practices. Now where did I read... oh yes...
	There's this one but it's really rudimentary:
		http://24ways.org/2006/writing-responsible-javascript
     	OK, here it is:
		http://www.digital-web.com/articles/objectifying_javascript/.
	Covers it pretty well and very clearly.

That's all from me.

- Eli

On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:18 PM, Colin Clark wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been working on a checklist for developers of JavaScript and
> DHTML
> user interfaces, and would like to get the community's feedback on it.
>
> The checklist is an attempt to provide developers with a quick
> overview
> of a few of the most important issues to watch out for, and real
> techniques for how to address them.
>
> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/DHTML+Developer+Checklist
>
> Thoughts? Suggestions for improvements?
>
> Colin
>
> --
> Colin Clark
> Technical Lead, Fluid Project
> http://fluidproject.org

                  .

Eli Cochran
eli at elicochran.com
dynamic web site design and development

"The opportunity lost by increasing the amount of blank space is
gained back with enhanced attention on what remains" - John Maeda