Fluid Design Best Practices

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 11 21:53:52 UTC 2007

Hi all,

In preparation for the Summit, I've been thinking about a discussion
on Fluid design best practices.  I think the goal of this discussion
should be to come up with a short list of Design practices and
methods we will follow in the Fluid community and perhaps a longer
list of best practices to share with Sakai, uPortal, Moodle & Kuali
Student communites to consider when they are enhancing and/or
designing new functionality.  As with most things in design, "it
depends" -- so not all practices and methods will work for all
projects and environments.  I see these becoming part of our design
toolkit.  I'm interested in ideas people in the community have for
this discussion.  To get the juices flowing, here are some practices
I've been thinking about:

Fluid design will include:

- Clear definition of problem being solved
- Outline of design goals (functional, usability & accessibility)
- Talking to real users
- Being driven by user goals and needs
- Designing for personas (may need further clarification about what
personas and how we use them since this varies across our discipline)
- Early and frequent "check-ins" with development (iterative
technical feasibility & design review of implementation)
- Early and frequent feedback from larger community
- Competitive analysis
- User testing (usability & accessibility)
- Use of design patterns where appropriate and creation of new ones
where applicable
- Use of CSS
- Accessible semantic mark-up
- Other?

Other effective design practices:

-Goal-directed design (yes, OK, my personal bias comes in :) )
-User research
	-Contextual Inquiry
	-Interviews
	-Observation
-User and behavioral Modeling
	-Scenarios
	-Use Cases
	-Activity diagrams
-Task analysis
- Stakeholder "show & tells"
- Other?

Please send feedback on these ideas, and new ones!

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
daphne at media.berkeley.edu
cell (510)847-0308