Simple accessibility heuristics for UX walkthroughs

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 7 18:18:01 UTC 2007

On Sep 7, 2007, at 11:01 AM, Colin Clark wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Daphne Ogle wrote:
>> I wonder if we can make an assumption that the folks doing this
>> evaluation have at least a basic knowledge of HTML?  I don't want
>> to make this assumption for everyone but I know for me, as much
>> I'd prefer not to write code, I can make my way through HTML just
>> fine :)  Thoughts?
>
> Yes, this is a good question to bring up with the community.
>
> One other motivation I didn't mention for leaving HTML out at this
> stage: so far, we have found in our preliminary walkthroughs that
> we were able to identify a large number of accessibility issues
> that were at a higher-level. More conceptual problems, if you will.
>
> So one advantage to not looking too far under the covers is that
> you stay within the level of abstraction that helps to identify
> large-scale issues and components. Once we choose to delve into
> specific problems, then a careful look at markup and detailed
> issues will be critical.
>
> Thoughts?
Excellent point and as we've discussed, keeping our eye toward the
higher level conceptual problems makes a lot of sense for this first
pass in identifying potential components.  Anything we can do to help
evaluators not get caught up in the details (which is really easy to
do in a process like this) is great!  I think it makes sense to build
the more detailed analysis into our component design process.

-Daphne

> Colin
>
> --
> Colin Clark