UX Walkthrough guidelines

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 7 18:13:16 UTC 2007

Hi all,

As we've been making good progress on the walkthroughs I think we've
got agreement that it makes sense to run through the process
individually from a usability and an accessibility perspective.
We've found that it's too much to think about both at once.  Also,
the usability walkthroughs include the use of the mouse and we've
been using a keyboard only technique on the scenarios to understand
the accessibility experience.  With that in mind, I was trying to
break up the guideline/checklist, http://wiki.fluidproject.org/
display/fluid/UX+Walkthrough+Heuristics,  into the 2 categories again
for ease of use.  As I look at the list, aside from the "under the
covers" section there are only handful that seem distinct to
accessibility (I've marked those with green text)...this is a good
thing!  It's a good list that describes good design practice but it's
pretty long and a lot to keep in mind as we are running through the
evaluations.  In the meantime Colin has created the accessibility
walkthrough outline, http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/
Accessibility+UX+Walkthrough+Group,  that is simple and concise.  I'm
thinking I could do the same from the usability perspective (and
would welcome any help) based on Nielen's heuristic checklist.  We
could think of the current longer list as a baseline for people to
get familiar with before the walkthroughs and use these more simple
checklists during the evaluation.  What do people think about this
approach?

We've been interchangeably calling the longer list "UX Walkthrough
Guidelines / Checklist".  As we create more of these docs it will be
important that we have solid shared semantics to describe our work.
I've temporarily renamed the longer list to "UX Walkthrough
Heuristics".  It really is not a checklist.  What do people think
about that terminology?  The doc Colin put together is more like a
checklist or even more guidelines for the process.  Does "UX
Walkthrough Accessibility Guidelines" work for people?  Other ideas?
The usability reference discussed above could be named similarly.

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
daphne at media.berkeley.edu
cell (510)847-0308