Simple accessibility heuristics for UX walkthroughs

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 7 18:01:51 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Daphne Ogle wrote:
> I wonder if we can make an assumption that the folks doing this
> evaluation have at least a basic knowledge of HTML?  I don't want to
> make this assumption for everyone but I know for me, as much I'd prefer
> not to write code, I can make my way through HTML just fine :)  Thoughts?

Yes, this is a good question to bring up with the community.

One other motivation I didn't mention for leaving HTML out at this
stage: so far, we have found in our preliminary walkthroughs that we
were able to identify a large number of accessibility issues that were
at a higher-level. More conceptual problems, if you will.

So one advantage to not looking too far under the covers is that you
stay within the level of abstraction that helps to identify large-scale
issues and components. Once we choose to delve into specific problems,
then a careful look at markup and detailed issues will be critical.

Thoughts?