Simple accessibility heuristics for UX walkthroughs

Greg Gay g.gay at utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 7 15:29:57 UTC 2007

Hi Colin
The only thing I might add is a check for text alternatives for graphic
content. Usually that means including Alt text with images, but also Alt
for image buttons, clientside Map areas, etc, and empty Alt for
meaningless or decorative images. Unfortunately it normally means
examining HTML, though in IE 6 if one holds a mouse pointer over an
image with Alt text, it will display.

Missing text alternatives for visual content is the #1 accessibility
barrier, and as such is listed in the guidelines as the first
requirement for compliance (WCAG 1.0 Guideline 1.1)

greg