Talks / Presentations?

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 5 19:18:48 UTC 2007

Hi Colin,

I would love to have the chance to talk with George about all these
issues sometime soon, especially design patterns. I am interested in
how these design patterns are created (e.g. is there any sort of
community effort or is it more top-down?), maintained/moderated, and
presented to potential users. I'd also like to find out whether
Oracle has a style guide and/or code repository (e.g. like Yahoo!'s
User Interface Library: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/), and how
these tools are used or integrated with the design patterns.

Thanks!
Allison

On Aug 31, 2007, at 11:54 AM, Colin Clark wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> I was just about to send a note about scheduling something when your
> post came through. Thanks for following up on this.
>
> My suggestion is to schedule a open Fluid teleconference to chat about
> areas for Oracle to collaborate with Fluid sometime in the next few
> weeks. I like your suggestions for topics, these are very relevant
> issues for Fluid.
>
> Given the fact that there are a number of designers in the Sakai
> community who already meet regularly to talk about design patterns,
> perhaps we could schedule the meeting in the same time slot so they
> are
> all able to attend? This group meets on Mondays from 6-7pm EDT.
>
> What does the rest of the community think about this idea?
>
> Colin
>

> George Hackman wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have been out of the loop for a while catching up after a
>> vacation...
>>
>> I am not sure where we landed as far as me giving a talk at some
>> time.
>> Should we just schedule something?
>>
>> Again, here are some topics...
>> * UI design patterns and how we use them at Oracle to promote
>> usability
>> and consistency.   This is a big help for us as we have a lot of
>> developers to support with a fairly small UX team.
>> * Accessibility and evolving standards.  Accessibility is key to
>> us as
>> we sell lots of software to the government.  I could talk about our
>> program and what we are doing here.
>> * Usability methods that we use at Oracle (Customer visits
>> (ethnography),  usability testing (remote and local) etc.).  You are
>> probably familiar with most of these, but I could call out what we do
>> differently or uniquely.
>> Thanks,
>> George
>>

> --