Follow up from today's meeting

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 26 00:29:03 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply...Barbara and I have both linked our Project
Plans (and I linked Daphne's from the last meeting) to the top of the
Design Meeting page: http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Design
+Meetings

We have been playing around with the task lists on the Design
Patterns Project Plan page. It would be nice if it allowed for sub-
tasks or assigning tasks to certain people, but I didn't see a way to
do that.

I think cardmeeting.com (group ID 1691, meeting ID M2884, ask me for
the pwd) would be the most promising application for us to use to
create story cards tomorrow. I checked out the screenshots for
xplanner.org (http://www.xplanner.org/screenshots.html), which seemed
the other most promising agile collaboration application (mostly
because it was free). Though the task views I think could be helpful,
it seems like overkill for what we are doing now and I don't think
would allow us to move story cards around. I think that is our most
important use case right now.

xplanner also had a page with links to other commercial and open
source XP/Agile Project Management tools: http://www.xplanner.org/
screenshots.html. There were four that looked like they might be
somewhat helpful in the future if we did more intensive group planning:
* Story server (http://userstorynet.sourceforge.net/) (java)
* XPCGI is pretty bare-bones with a poor UI, and probably the least
promising...see the demo here: http://www.visi.com/~gyles19/cgi-bin/
XP/project.cgi?ACTION=LIST+PROJECTS.  (CGI)
* I wasn't able to see any screenshots for these:
	* http://xpweb.sourceforge.net/ - demo didn't work (PHP)
	* http://userstorynet.sourceforge.net/ (Asp.net C#)

All of these apps need to be hosted on a server (they're not a
service like cardmeeting.com), so if we decide we want to explore any
of them more, we may need to find a server.

Allison

On Oct 23, 2007, at 8:13 PM, Daphne Ogle wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We decided today that we wanted to meet again Friday to continue
> with our UX planning activities.  Let me know what times work for
> you all on Friday:
>
> - 9:00 am PDT / 12:00 EDT
> - 10:00 am PDT / 1:00 PDT
> - 11:00 am PDT / 2:00 EDT
> - 12:00 pm PDT / 3:00 EDT
>
> I'm in all day working meetings tomorrow but will try to tally up
> everyone's availability and send it out by Thursday morning PDT.
>
> Action items in prep for Friday's meeting:
>
> 1)  Project coordinators to post project plans for each project
> area on the wiki (where should these go?  can someone put theirs up
> as a model and share with the group?)
> 2)  Granularity for the project plans:  Phases for global
> prioritization; within each phase are more granular activities that
> will be prioritized within the working group when the work is
> happening.
> 	-Phases are meant to be chunks of work that need to be prioritized
> together.  For example, in user research a phase might be
> competitive analysis another contextual inquiries & modeling.  So
> splitting up the activities within a phase would not be an
> efficient way to work.  Each phase can be worked on separately,
> perhaps put away while we focus on another project and then picked
> up again to continue on to the next phase.  Although we didn't talk
> about this today -- it would be good if each phase has deliverables
> identified -- to the team, community, another project team,
> whatever makes sense.
> 3) Create story cards for the phases that we'll use for the global
> planning game on Friday.  I missed this today -- did we decide on
> an application to use?  Allison (or anyone else that's looked at
> the options), can you recommend one for us to start using?
>
> Did I miss anything?
>
> Daphne Ogle
> Senior Interaction Designer
> University of California, Berkeley