Dashboard views & portals

Paul Zablosky Paul.Zablosky at ubc.ca
Thu Oct 25 22:48:06 UTC 2007

Very interesting, Daphne.  One point he kind of skips over is the
existing third dimension of portlets -- otherwise known as window
states.  You may remember me prosing on about the how this aspect of
portlets is underexploited, and how we should give users the ability to
select window states dynamically.  From this point of view, portlets are
no longer one-size-fits all -- they grow and shrink or even pop loose
from the dashboard window to show different content at different levels
of detail.  I have been imagining a sort of executive dashboard which is
totally configurable by the user and  populated with portlets in the
minimized and cameo states, leading to all sorts of dynamic ways of
drilling down into more detailed content.  I hope to put together a few
use cases to illustrate what I'm talking about.  (Maybe after I get the
walkthrough material in shape.)

Joe Monantia does present some very interesting challenges, but I'm not
sure that we're as trapped in Flatland as he suggests.   Food for
thought indeed.

Thanks for pointing this out,
Paul