Fluid licensing logistics

Sheila Crossey sheila.crossey at utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 23 14:41:15 UTC 2007

Yes, DOJO does have multiple license files in multiple trunks. In fact it
has different license files in some sub-folders and so will Fluid when
required for third party reasons. But the DOJO model does not have any
embedded license text in the source code files so they don't have to worry
about pointing back to the right license. They simply rely on the context of
the folder that the source code file is in. I initially thought of doing it
that way as it's easy, but in discussing it more thoroughly with Colin came
to the conclusion that it would be too dangerous as it would mean that a
source code file taken out of context would have no copyright information
whatsoever. Also, we have the situation with multiple copyright owners so we
need a mechanism to identify who owns what.

So this embedded license text introduces the complication of pointing to a
full license (because the full license is too big to embed in every source
code file). Maybe we could have a master copy license file somewhere with a
permanent link and just use that. I'm not sure how these repositories work,
so I don't know what the simplest technical solution would be.

Sheila