Lightbox User Testing Protocol

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 17 17:36:39 UTC 2007

A couple thoughts about the protocol scenario...

We are asking users to pretend they are an Art History Professor and
reorganize this images based on images we are providing.  I think
there are two challenges here:

- Since they aren't familiar with the images, I have some concern
that users will get caught up in trying to understand conceptually
how the image should be ordered rather than the process of moving the
images around.  We could overcome this by asking adding tasks
requesting they move image A in between image e & d or move image G
to the beginning of the collection for instance.

-  Eileen, the primary persona for the Image Gallery and therefore
the lightbox makes sense of her images as she reorganizes them.  The
process of moving them around and seeing them in different states
helps her create her course content and sometimes even define the
topic for a particular class session.  If we choose images for users
in the test, there is no meaning in the images themselves to that
particular user.  Needing to see the images in a certain way likely
requires seeing a certain number of images at once, elegant scrolling
as they move images down the page below the fold, moving groups of
images together as their model comes together, etc.  For testees that
are in image heavy disciplines we could ask them to provide a
collection of images that have meaning.  Thoughts?

More on using personas for the test...   In my experience personas
are great as a design tool.  They give us a clear picture all the
users of the system but rather they identify the archetypes that
allow us to focus design and still build a system that works for
everyone.  So by designing for Eileen, we think the system will work
for her unique goals and needs but also work for a variety of users.
 From About Face 2.0 (the author Cooper is the inventor of personas)
"The key to choosing the right individuals to design for, ones whose
needs represent the needs of the larger set of key constituents, and
knowing how to prioritize design elements to address the needs of the
most important users without significanlty inconveniencing secondary
users."  In the case of user testing I think we want to test a
diverse number of users that represent our constituents.  So although
we designed for Eileen, she won't be the only kind of user.  Make sense?

-Daphne

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
daphne at media.berkeley.edu