Lightbox User Testing Protocol

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 17 17:07:25 UTC 2007

On Oct 17, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Barbara Glover wrote:

> Hi Allison
> Thanks for sending the link to the chart.  That will help out.
> Originally I wanted to do a more comprehensive study of users
> representing both our faculty persona as well as student personas.
> Daphne and I had a conversation about that this week and with the
> shortened time-line we thought to focus this round on faculty with
> the addition of a few key-board only users.
Right now, students are not able to use the reorderer -- no
permissions in the Image Gallery tool to reorder images.  This is
likely to come but not for a couple versions.  Our focus right now is
to make the experience of posting images for students to view as easy
and pleasant as possible for instructors.  That said, testing some
students on the lightbox will give us some good user data on the
reorder generally -- how do the controls and interesting moments
work; do they know what they can do when and where they can do it
(related to my final comment).

IMO focusing on our primary persona is not critical at this point.
The current functionality is pretty generic around reordering
images.  When the personas get interesting is in future phases of the
Image Gallery (and perhaps some of this will end up in the lightbox
component) when we support image heavy course instructors in building
their course content.  We of course want to test some users that are
used to working with images like Eileen is but I also think we want
to test a diverse mix of people to get a sense of where and when the
lightbox will support users best.

> Since our planning meeting yesterday though it appears we may have
> more time to complete further testing.  In light of this, I would
> like to propose we start the testing with faculty matching our
> primary persona for Sakai and then, branch out to include the
> students.
>
> As far as extrapolating to the Re-orderer in general, that was not
> the intent of these studies.  However it is a good suggestion and
> one as we do more planning around user testing in general that we
> should consider.
We should get some good user data about the reorderer in relation to
images by testing the lightbox.  We could also think about testing
the uPortal portlet layout implementation to round out the results a
bit.  Perhaps we could outline what we want to know about the
reorderer and make sure we include tasks that get at that information.

-Daphne

> [...]
>>
>> It seems that one addition we should make to the testing protocol
>> is identifying the attributes of the users we want to test, and
>> then keeping track of which user types we've been able to find.
>> See http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Users+to+Research
>> for an example of an (admittedly complicated--we probably don't
>> need nearly this much detail) matrix Daphne, Judy and I came up
>> with for the Content Management Research. Are we only planning to
>> target folks who are similar to the two Lightbox personas (http://
>> wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Lightbox+Personas), both of
>> which are faculty members? It sounds like we at a minimum need to
>> add "keyboard-only user" to the list of target characteristics.
>> Are there others?
>>
>> A question that may help answer that is to ask whether we trying
>> to extrapolate testing for the Re-orderer from testing of the
>> Lightbox? If so, I am wondering if we should consider also testing
>> students and people who are using Sakai for research or project
>> management as well (e.g. http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/
>> fluid/Sakai+Personas), since they may be using a version of the re-
>> orderer in another Sakai tool (e.g. Page Order Helper). It
>> wouldn't be testing in context, but at least it would be testing
>> user types who may encounter the Re-orderer. There would also be
>> the users of other Fluid applications to consider, but I'm
>> guessing they may be covered by some of the Lightbox or Sakai
>> personas, and am not sure it would make sense to define our target
>> testing subjects in an incredibly granular fashion (because we are
>> going to be limited as to who we can access).
>>
>> Allison
>>
>> On Oct 16, 2007, at 2:54 PM, Colin Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Barbara and all,
>>>
>>> This is a really good testing protocol for the Lightbox. Nice work!
>>>
>>> The UX team talked about user testing briefly on our planning
>>> call today. For those of you who weren't there, here's a quick
>>> summary.
>>>
>>> The 0.1 release is unusual in that we haven't had the opportunity
>>> to do a lot of user testing on the Lightbox yet. Now that we've
>>> got a solid test plan, it will serve as the basis for identifying
>>> and fixing usability issues with the Lightbox and Reorderer over
>>> the next few releases. User testing will become an ongoing
>>> activity for us from here on.
>>>
>>> We'll fix as many issues as we can before 0.1, and then continue
>>> with user testing and refactoring into 0.2, refining the test
>>> plan as we go.
>>>
>>> Barbara mentioned during the meeting that she's planning to run
>>> this plan with Justin Obara early next week here in Toronto. Is
>>> anyone else able to do some testing with users at their institution?
>>>
>>> Colin

>>> --
>>> Colin Clark
>>> Technical Lead, Fluid Project
>>> Adaptive Technology Resource Centre, University of Toronto

Daphne Ogle
Senior Interaction Designer
daphne at media.berkeley.edu
cell (510)847-0308