Lightbox User Testing Protocol

Barbara Glover barbara.glover at utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 17 15:17:09 UTC 2007

Hi Allison
Thanks for sending the link to the chart.  That will help out.
Originally I wanted to do a more comprehensive study of users
representing both our faculty persona as well as student personas.
Daphne and I had a conversation about that this week and with the
shortened time-line we thought to focus this round on faculty with
the addition of a few key-board only users.

Since our planning meeting yesterday though it appears we may have
more time to complete further testing.  In light of this, I would
like to propose we start the testing with faculty matching our
primary persona for Sakai and then, branch out to include the students.

As far as extrapolating to the Re-orderer in general, that was not
the intent of these studies.  However it is a good suggestion and one
as we do more planning around user testing in general that we should
consider.

cheers
Barbara
On 16-Oct-07, at 8:46 PM, Allison Bloodworth wrote:

> [...]
> folks who are similar to the two Lightbox personas (http://
> wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Lightbox+Personas), both of
> which are faculty members? It sounds like we at a minimum need to
> add "keyboard-only user" to the list of target characteristics. Are
> there others?
>
> A question that may help answer that is to ask whether we trying to
> extrapolate testing for the Re-orderer from testing of the
> Lightbox? If so, I am wondering if we should consider also testing
> students and people who are using Sakai for research or project
> management as well (e.g. http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/
> Sakai+Personas), since they may be using a version of the re-
> orderer in another Sakai tool (e.g. Page Order Helper). It wouldn't
> be testing in context, but at least it would be testing user types
> who may encounter the Re-orderer. There would also be the users of
> other Fluid applications to consider, but I'm guessing they may be
> covered by some of the Lightbox or Sakai personas, and am not sure
> it would make sense to define our target testing subjects in an
> incredibly granular fashion (because we are going to be limited as
> to who we can access).
>
> Allison
>
> On Oct 16, 2007, at 2:54 PM, Colin Clark wrote:
>
>> Hi Barbara and all,
>>
>> This is a really good testing protocol for the Lightbox. Nice work!
>>
>> The UX team talked about user testing briefly on our planning call
>> today. For those of you who weren't there, here's a quick summary.
>>
>> The 0.1 release is unusual in that we haven't had the opportunity
>> to do a lot of user testing on the Lightbox yet. Now that we've
>> got a solid test plan, it will serve as the basis for identifying
>> and fixing usability issues with the Lightbox and Reorderer over
>> the next few releases. User testing will become an ongoing
>> activity for us from here on.
>>
>> We'll fix as many issues as we can before 0.1, and then continue
>> with user testing and refactoring into 0.2, refining the test plan
>> as we go.
>>
>> Barbara mentioned during the meeting that she's planning to run
>> this plan with Justin Obara early next week here in Toronto. Is
>> anyone else able to do some testing with users at their institution?
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> Barbara Glover wrote:
>>> Hi Daphne/Mike/Allison/Shaw-Han
>>> We're trying to get some quick user testing done for the release
>>> of  the Lightbox at the end of October.  Several of you have
>>> offered to  help with this testing especially the accessibility
>>> sections at your  universities.
>>> I've put together a protocol that we can use with the instructor
>>> user.  Please review and make changes at the folllowing wiki page.
>>> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Lightbox+User+Study
>>> +Protocol
>>> Let's try and determine if we can get any testing completed in
>>> the  next week before the release is done.
>>> Barbara