Case study on agile planning sessions

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 17 01:01:54 UTC 2007

Hi there,

As I mentioned at the Fluid UX team meeting today, I found a few
interesting ideas in this paper from XP 2007: http://
www.springerlink.com/index/y635315rm1038005.pdf

For instance:
* http://www.cardmeeting.com
* http://www.danube.com/scrumworks/basic
* http://www.rallydev.com/products.jsp
* http://www.versionone.com/products.asp
* http://www.xplanner.org/

CardMeeting is free, and though it doesn't seem to work in Mac/
Firefox, it does work in Mac/Safari and seems well-suited to help our
distributed team collaboratively re-arrange story cards. The main
disadvantage I see is that I don't think there is a way to print out
the cards when you are done ordering them. If that is a requirement
for us, we may want to investigate some of the other solutions.

I created a group, Fluid UX, ID C1691, and a meeting, Fluid UX
planning, ID M2884. Please contact me for the password if you'd like
to log in and create a test meeting in our group area to play with.
Alternatively, you can play with one of the meetings they have
already set up or check out the screenshots here: http://
www.cardmeeting.com/screenshot.jsp.

Allison

On Oct 11, 2007, at 1:48 PM, Daphne Ogle wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Michelle D'Souza wrote:
>

>>> Some questions to ponder before next week's meeting:
>>>
>>> -  Are there applications that can help us replicate the
>>> interactive moving around of story cards in our distributed world?
>>>

>> I think Breeze has a whiteboard feature but I haven't played with
>> it. Could that be used?
> It could.  What would be really good is an application that allows
> us to drag the virtual story cards (like post-its or index cards)
> to see in real time how moving activities around affects the
> schedule.  Then we can do things like move a card up an iteration
> and see that we'll have to move something out to allow the new one
> to fit in the allotted time for an iteration.  I'm not sure this is
> doable on-line.  We used to have all the cards spread out on a
> table (as shown in the pics in the case study).
>>

>>> -  What's the best way to do estimating?  My experience has been
>>> that each team member gives an estimate for a particular activity
>>> based on that individual doing the work and then an average is
>>> used for planning.  In that case, we didn't know who would be
>>> assigned to each activity at the point of estimating so it made
>>> sense to take an average.  We may have more information about who
>>> will be working on particular activities.  How does Toronto
>>> handle estimates?
>>>

>> Generally, we estimate our tasks together deferring to the person
>> with the most knowledge or experience with the specific work. We
>> sit down together, go through a stack of features and quickly put
>> times on them. It's easier and quicker to estimate when we can
>> think in ideal time - meaning uninterrupted time to spend on the
>> task - so we don't worry about how long in real time it will take.
>> We've been tracking how many ideal work days worth of work we
>> accomplish in an iteration and we use that history to schedule
>> work for iterations.
> Makes sense -- thanks!
>>
>> Michelle

>> Michelle D'Souza