Lightbox User Testing Protocol

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 17 00:46:20 UTC 2007

Hi there,

It seems that one addition we should make to the testing protocol is
identifying the attributes of the users we want to test, and then
keeping track of which user types we've been able to find. See http://
wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Users+to+Research for an example
of an (admittedly complicated--we probably don't need nearly this
much detail) matrix Daphne, Judy and I came up with for the Content
Management Research. Are we only planning to target folks who are
similar to the two Lightbox personas (http://wiki.fluidproject.org/
display/fluid/Lightbox+Personas), both of which are faculty members?
It sounds like we at a minimum need to add "keyboard-only user" to
the list of target characteristics. Are there others?

A question that may help answer that is to ask whether we trying to
extrapolate testing for the Re-orderer from testing of the Lightbox?
If so, I am wondering if we should consider also testing students and
people who are using Sakai for research or project management as well
(e.g. http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Sakai+Personas),
since they may be using a version of the re-orderer in another Sakai
tool (e.g. Page Order Helper). It wouldn't be testing in context, but
at least it would be testing user types who may encounter the Re-
orderer. There would also be the users of other Fluid applications to
consider, but I'm guessing they may be covered by some of the
Lightbox or Sakai personas, and am not sure it would make sense to
define our target testing subjects in an incredibly granular fashion
(because we are going to be limited as to who we can access).

Allison

On Oct 16, 2007, at 2:54 PM, Colin Clark wrote:

> Hi Barbara and all,
>
> This is a really good testing protocol for the Lightbox. Nice work!
>
> The UX team talked about user testing briefly on our planning call
> today. For those of you who weren't there, here's a quick summary.
>
> The 0.1 release is unusual in that we haven't had the opportunity
> to do a lot of user testing on the Lightbox yet. Now that we've got
> a solid test plan, it will serve as the basis for identifying and
> fixing usability issues with the Lightbox and Reorderer over the
> next few releases. User testing will become an ongoing activity for
> us from here on.
>
> We'll fix as many issues as we can before 0.1, and then continue
> with user testing and refactoring into 0.2, refining the test plan
> as we go.
>
> Barbara mentioned during the meeting that she's planning to run
> this plan with Justin Obara early next week here in Toronto. Is
> anyone else able to do some testing with users at their institution?
>
> Colin
>
> Barbara Glover wrote:
>> Hi Daphne/Mike/Allison/Shaw-Han
>> We're trying to get some quick user testing done for the release
>> of  the Lightbox at the end of October.  Several of you have
>> offered to  help with this testing especially the accessibility
>> sections at your  universities.
>> I've put together a protocol that we can use with the instructor
>> user.  Please review and make changes at the folllowing wiki page.
>> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Lightbox+User+Study
>> +Protocol
>> Let's try and determine if we can get any testing completed in
>> the  next week before the release is done.
>> cheers
>> Barbara
>
> --
> Colin Clark