Design Patterns kick-off meeting & reminder about Oracle design patterns talk

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 12 19:49:28 UTC 2007

Hi there,

It was great meeting so many of you in person at the summit! To
follow up on the design patterns presentation (available at: http://
wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Design+Patterns) I gave at the
summit, I wanted to organize a meeting for all of us who are
interested in the topic. We will begin with a discussion of the goals
of the group, talk about the questions we didn't have time to discuss
at the summit, and then come up with some next steps for Fluid design
patterns.

Please check out the "Questions for the group to consider" on the
wiki page (http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Design
+Patterns) prior to the meeting and bring any questions, comments, or
ideas that you have. I will also be fleshing this wiki page/space out
a bit more in the coming days (e.g. adding links to resources and
other pattern libraries), so you may want to check back for new
information.

I've tentatively scheduled the kick-off meeting for the group for
Wednesday, Oct 17th from 2-3EDT/11-12PDT, which we will hold in Fluid
Breeze (http://breeze.yorku.ca/fluidwork). If you would like to
attend this meeting and the time doesn't work for you, just let me
know. Then if you could also pass along any constraints you have re:
meeting times, I'll try to come up with a new time that works for
everyone.

Also, a reminder that if you are interested in design patterns, you
will also want to attend the talk with George Hackman from Oracle in
Fluid Breeze this Monday, Oct. 15th from 12-1. I believe design
patterns will be one of the major topics he will be discussing, along
with a few others. There are some slides in my presentation outlining
some of the work one of his (I think former) employees, Patrick
Stapleton, did on pattern libraries.

Lastly, if you are interested in more information on design pattern
libraries, there is a Yahoo! group whose mailing list (mentioned in
my talk) you may want to subscribe to: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/
group/ui-pattern-authors/. It is not a terribly high-traffic mailing
list, but many of the big pattern library authors participate there
and there are some interesting polls, files, etc. as well that you
can access.

Hope to see you Wednesday!

Allison Bloodworth
Senior User Interaction Designer