Case study on agile planning sessions

Michelle D'Souza michelle.dsouza at utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 11 20:23:11 UTC 2007

> Some questions to ponder before next week's meeting:
>
> -  Are there applications that can help us replicate the
> interactive moving around of story cards in our distributed world?

I think Breeze has a whiteboard feature but I haven't played with it.
Could that be used?

> -  What's the best way to do estimating?  My experience has been
> that each team member gives an estimate for a particular activity
> based on that individual doing the work and then an average is used
> for planning.  In that case, we didn't know who would be assigned
> to each activity at the point of estimating so it made sense to
> take an average.  We may have more information about who will be
> working on particular activities.  How does Toronto handle estimates?

Generally, we estimate our tasks together deferring to the person
with the most knowledge or experience with the specific work. We sit
down together, go through a stack of features and quickly put times
on them. It's easier and quicker to estimate when we can think in
ideal time - meaning uninterrupted time to spend on the task - so we
don't worry about how long in real time it will take. We've been
tracking how many ideal work days worth of work we accomplish in an
iteration and we use that history to schedule work for iterations.

Michelle

Michelle D'Souza
Software Developer, Fluid Project
Adaptive Technology Resource Centre