Details about the Fluid 0.1 Release

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 11 05:03:17 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

We had a 0.1 release planning meeting today to discuss the contents of
the release and how it will be packaged. Here are some more details
about what we're planning.

The Fluid 0.1 release will be a small but solid first version. It will
include the Lightbox, the Reorderer, and a portion of the UX toolkit.
We're aiming for a release date of October 31.

In preparation for the release, we will be focussing on fixing bugs in
the Reorderer and providing comprehensive documentation on how to use,
customize, and extend the Lightbox and Reorderer. If you have time, we'd
benefit greatly from your help squashing bugs and writing documentation.

Much of our code will be moved from the Sakai repository to our own
Fluid repository over the next few days. We'll let you know when that is
complete.

Since this is a small release, we will have a short QA cycle, with code
freeze on October 24. Eli Cochran has offered to help coordinate our QA
plan, and more volunteers are greatly appreciated. If you've been
thinking about getting involved in Fluid, testing is a great way to get
started and make a impact on the release.

For this version, the UX toolkit will take the form of PDF snapshots
from our wiki bundled with the release. We'll also include pointers back
to the living wiki pages as well. It will include a version of the Drag
and Drop UI design pattern customized for Sakai, Moodle, and uPortal.
We'll also be packaging up our UX Walkthrough checklists and protocols
for the toolkit.

The plan is to do regular releases of our components and UX toolkit, so
this first release is largely an opportunity to define the process for
future releases. We also think that the code and UX material we've
collected to date is solid and ready to be used more widely, so this
release will make it much easier for others to use our code in other
contexts.

We're really interested in your feedback. I'll be away on vacation for
the next couple of days, but please feel free share your thoughts with list.