Changes to the wiki...

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 9 22:50:22 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

I really love the new style of the wiki as well--thanks for your work
on this Gary! Many of us have expressed our frustration with finding
things on the wiki and this is an excellent step forward in my
opinion. It would be nice to move the edit links to the top if we
can, but I don't think this is a deal-breaker, and well worth the
trade-off for the left navigation. If folks can't find the
information they need, how will they ever edit it? The left nav gives
a much better picture of the overall "space" of the site. However, as
Colin always reminds us, the wiki can often use 'gardening' to keep
it organized, as pages are often sort of thrown up there without tons
of thought about the overall navigational structure. If any of our
volunteers are well-versed in information architecture, I'm sure
their help with getting things organized would be appreciated. :)

I'm not entirely sure this is the way to go (since the wiki has so
many levels), but was just wondering if there was a way to enable sub-
navigation if we wanted it? The breadcrumbs do that to some extent,
but often I have that "..." which I have to open to expose all of
them. Personally, I would always prefer to have the full path in
order to determine exactly where I am (and give me a better idea
where I can go)...I'm often just too 'lazy' to click the "...".

I also mistook the "categories" (e.g. "Collaborative Resources") as
the currently active left nav item...it would be nice if we could
somehow visually activate the current left nav item to minimize this
problem.

Gary, if you'd like any help monkeying around with any of this (e.g.
you think it can be done but just don't have the time), feel free to
point me in the right direction and I'd be happy to try to figure any
of these issues out.  :)

Allison

Allison Bloodworth
Senior User Interaction Designer