Ideas for Sakai U-Camp & Programmer's Cafe

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 9 22:05:49 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

Aaron Zeckoski and I have been chatting about some new ideas for the
Sakai U-Camp and Programmer's Cafe at the upcoming Newport Beach conference.

We've been talking about the prospect of having a small collaboration
where developers in the advanced Cafe stream will implement
functionality in Sakai based on wireframes by real designers.

I'd like to solicit wider feedback and suggestions on these ideas. The
initial still very drafty suggestion is:

* 9 am - 11 am: Design, accessibility, and testing talks and discussions
This session will largely be focussed on topics of interest to
experienced UX folks as well as those interested in learning more. The
familiar U-Camp format.

* After lunch - 2 pm: U-Camp collaboration with the Programmer's Cafe.
based on a design problem we work out and design for in advance of the
conference, we'll work with the advanced Cafe developers to implement
our designs.

This will require us to organize well in advance so we have time to put
together a relatively small project, do the user research, and come up
with a design. Perhaps there is some bite-size work from the Fluid
summit that we could work on for this project.

UI designer/developer types will likely want to stay in the Cafe for the
afternoon to help with the implementation work.

* 2 pm - 4:30 pm: Back in the U-Camp, more UX-specific activities.
Perhaps something intersecting with teaching and learning? Or UX
walkthroughs of Sakai? Other ideas?

* 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm: Combined session demonstrating the results of the
implementation. Identifying next steps and people to carry this work
forward if desired.

I think that we still need to work out a lot of the details for this
sort of plan. It's hard to do any sizable amount of implementation work
in an afternoon, so the design problem would have to be very small and
worked out ahead of time.

More importantly, we've found in Fluid that the most productive way to
work on UX issues tends to be a close collaboration amongst a small
group of designers and developers who work as a team. Unfortunately this
initial idea for a U-Camp/Cafe collaboration doesn't really take this
approach into account, and I'm a bit troubled by the process.

Thoughts? Suggestions?