Changes to the wiki...

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 4 19:01:49 UTC 2007

Comments below...

On Oct 3, 2007, at 4:26 PM, Kyle Russell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know I am totally new and just a volunteer, but I'd like to throw
> out
> my thoughts on the different wiki options.
There is no such thing as "just".  Volunteer and community is what
Fluid is all about!  Glad to have your voice, opinion, work on the
project!

> I'd suggest that the goals of the fluid project have some influence
> over
> the design that is chosen. Certainly left nav is a strong pattern
> in how
> websites are used, however, if the goal is to develop a community of
> practice encouraging participation of the members, the classic wiki
> style may be a better choice. The classic style is becoming quite
> mainstream with wikipedia's popularity and has a strong affordance for
> enabling users to edit the site and feel a group ownership for the
> site.
>> From a practical standpoint the left nav option changes the wiki into
> much more of a traditional website as there is little affordance
> for the
> new user to directly interact with the content. If the goal of the
> fluid
> project is to produce a traditional website, the left nav is probably
> better. If the end goal is to create a wiki, I'd suggest that the
> classic style would be better.

Thinking about the goals and how we've been using the wiki thus far I
think it's a little of both.  We want to concisely share information
about the project and the work we are doing with the community --
perhaps better supported by a a classic website AND we want to
collaboratively work together across distance on various documents
and activities -- perhaps better supported by a wiki style.

Regardless, personally I'm not sure how I feel about the left
navigation yet.  I've been using confluence for several years now so
I'm a bit set in the alternative navigation structure.  I want to
spend some time with the new navigation in context of our work before
having any real opinion.

-Daphne

daphne at media.berkeley.edu
cell (510)847-0308