Changes to the wiki...

Kyle Russell kyler at expedia.com
Wed Oct 3 23:26:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

I know I am totally new and just a volunteer, but I'd like to throw out
my thoughts on the different wiki options.

I'd suggest that the goals of the fluid project have some influence over
the design that is chosen. Certainly left nav is a strong pattern in how
websites are used, however, if the goal is to develop a community of
practice encouraging participation of the members, the classic wiki
style may be a better choice. The classic style is becoming quite
mainstream with wikipedia's popularity and has a strong affordance for
enabling users to edit the site and feel a group ownership for the site.
>From a practical standpoint the left nav option changes the wiki into
much more of a traditional website as there is little affordance for the
new user to directly interact with the content. If the goal of the fluid
project is to produce a traditional website, the left nav is probably
better. If the end goal is to create a wiki, I'd suggest that the
classic style would be better.

Thoughts on these ideas?

Cheers,

-Kyle