JA-Sig U-camp

Gary Thompson gary at unicon.net
Mon Oct 1 21:21:50 UTC 2007

Barbara,

I plan to be involved.  The Sakai folks probably have a better defined
u-camp, but I have presented a half-day seminar entitled _User-Centered
Design: The Key to Adoption_ at the last two uPortal conferences.

The Synopsis:
This session will outline the user-centered design process and how it
can be utilized at your institution to create a portal that gets
adopted. We'll define design and discuss where it fits in the overall
development process. We'll cover the main steps of the user-centered
design process: user research, user profiling, user scenarios, design
concepts, and user testing. At each step, we'll engage in exciting,
hands-on activities that you can take home and implement in your portal
project.

The Outline:
    *  Introduction - design defined (30 mins)
    * UCD Process - designing for adoption (90 mins)
          o User research (30 mins)
          o User profiling (30 mins)
          o User scenarios (30 mins)
    * Session break (15 mins)
    * UCD Process - designing for adoption (continued, 60 mins)
          o Design concepts (30 mins)
          o User testing (30 mins)
    * Conclusion - how to take it home (20 mins)
    * Q&A (15 mins)

I think both Paul and Colin have attended the seminar.  I would be
willing to present and/or lead discussion around any of these topics.

Gary