User Experience Inspections -- managing and coordinating a distributed process

Paul Zablosky Paul.Zablosky at ubc.ca
Tue May 29 21:45:39 UTC 2007

I have been thinking about the logistics of the planned User Experience
Inspections.  We are assembling teams of experts from various
institutions and locations to evaluate several diverse products (Sakai,
uPortal, and Moodle)  along several dimensions (Usability,
Accessibility, Cognitive Walkthroughs). We want to produce results that
we can merge and aggregate.  Investigators are expected to be
explorative, and reflective, and innovative, since we are starting with
a somewhat unrefined protocol.

This sounds like a lot of fun, and an opportunity to learn a great deal.

Daphne has put together a wiki page giving an outline of the process
with a proposed protocol and reporting template at User Experience
Inspections (a.k.a. Heuristic Evaluations)
<http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/User+Experience+Inspections+%28a.k.a.+Heuristic+Evaluations%29>.
I have added a list of points focused on the coordination of the
inspection teams
<http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/User+Experience+Inspections+%28a.k.a.+Heuristic+Evaluations%29#UserExperienceInspections%28a.k.a.HeuristicEvaluations%29-WorkingGroupCoordination>
to Daphne's excellent framework.

I invite comments and suggestions, either in the wiki or in this mailing
list.

Paul