Drag and drop errors with Dojo

Antranig Basman antranig at caret.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 27 20:34:48 UTC 2007

Initial investigation is seeming to reveal that Dojo's drag and drop
implementation is so ill-conceived as to be fundamentally unusable
(sorry for the strong language, I tend to think in absolutes :)
It appears to have no understanding of the fundamental event model
that causes an event capture when a drag operation is initiated.

We might try to bang on this for a while to patch it up.

In the meantime I leave the following links for general amusement...

1. "Leaky abstractions in Javascript"
http://simonwillison.net/2006/Jun/26/libraries/

2. A highly impressive demo that shows drag and drop between multiple
targets, in a highly configurable way, that works in every browser
back to the beginning of time

http://tool-man.org/examples/

Doesn't look like this is really "maintained" or has been folded
into any of the major frameworks...  it does come with a good set
of jsUnit tests though.