First try at ARIA role and state markup -- looking for advice

Joseph Scheuhammer clown at utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 18 16:32:07 UTC 2007

Anastasia wrote:
> Currently (and we expect this to be common), the lightbox is being
> used inside a tool that is inside a portal. Which part of this
> scenario is 'the application'? Is it the whole portal? My guess is
> no. Is it the tool? Tools are typically application-like things, so
> my guess is that a tool in a portal frame is an application in the
> WAI role sense of the word. Is the lightbox itself an application? It
> certainly seems to function in that sense, but if it's inside an
> application, it doesn't seem to need the role itself.

Rich replied:
> If the lightbox is inside an application then the grid does not need a
> role
> of application - think container.

Declaring the lightbox as a container makes sense.  However, here is
another wrinkle.  Ideally, the lightbox is a standalone..."component"
(for lack of a better term) that can be used anywhere.  As Anastasia
says, it will be used as part of some greater tool/application/whole,
and is unlikely ever to stand by itself entirely.

My question then is:  are containers always thought of as a set of
"components" within an application?  Or, can containers also be used as
document parts?  I know, I should answer this myself by reading the
draft specs, but I thought I would just put it out there.  Another way
of putting it:  is their anything in ARIA that describes something as a
"component", in the sense of a UI unit that may (or may not) contain
other UI units?

--
;;;;joseph

'Was it a car or a cat I saw?'