ajax & usability

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Fri Jun 1 18:17:05 UTC 2007

Hi Carl,

I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, but I was pleased to read
this comment in the review:

"The chapter 'Ajax and Accessibility' gives you a good insight into the
problems Ajax can cause for people who use screen readers. In short,
there are no easy solutions."

There have been a lot of articles on the web about AJAX accessibility
that seem to suggest there are trivial solutions to the problem. The
reality is that it is a complex issue that involves thoughtful design
and cooperation among web designers, browser developers, and assistive
technology vendors. That's why the ARIA work at the W3C, among other
things, is so important.

Fluid will continue to work with all of these groups to help create a
viable solution for accessible UI components. But we've certainly got
our work cut out for us!

Colin