[Accessforall] Format of Registry names (spaces, camelCase)

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 09:43:11 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-16, at 8:48 AM, Christophe Strobbe wrote:

>> I think we do want to impose some minimal naming conventions to make it
>> easier for programmers in a variety of languages to use these local names
>> without extra effort. It doesn't seem inappropriately restrictive to
>> simply ask contributors to the registry to avoid certain characters (such
>> as spaces) when specifying their local names. Validation in the Registry's
>> UI can prompt the user, and if we find a desire for more consistency
>> beyond that, we can come up with a style guide for contributors.
>
> OK. This then leads to the next question: should this naming convention be
> part of ISO 24751?

I'd suggest that for the time being we shouldn't suggest including this naming convention as part of ISO 24751. Let's work it out, try it in practice for a while, and then suggest it if we find it's a successful approach. I know the ISO committee has its hands full already with our first round of suggestions.