[Accessforall] Format of Registry names (spaces, camelCase)

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 09:01:08 EDT 2012

Hi all,

On 2012-10-15, at 8:32 AM, Christophe Strobbe wrote:

> Am Mo, 15.10.2012, 10:58 schrieb Andres Iglesias:
>> Hi Christophe,
>>
>> Since we're going to accept new terms coming from vendors, independent
>> organizations etc. I think we won't be able to impose any naming
>> convention on this, as everyone expresses their terms in her own naming
>> policies.
>
> I agree.
> But part of my question was also about the inconsistency between the use
> of spaces in the temporary registry and the use of camel case in the
> preference sets.

I think we do want to impose some minimal naming conventions to make it easier for programmers in a variety of languages to use these local names without extra effort. It doesn't seem inappropriately restrictive to simply ask contributors to the registry to avoid certain characters (such as spaces) when specifying their local names. Validation in the Registry's UI can prompt the user, and if we find a desire for more consistency beyond that, we can come up with a style guide for contributors.