[Accessforall] Format of Registry names (spaces, camelCase)

Christophe Strobbe strobbe at hdm-stuttgart.de
Fri Oct 12 09:42:24 EDT 2012

Hi,

While working on preference sets for the personas that we will use in the
smart house simulation, the following question came up:
* Many of the names in our Registry for Property and Condition Terms
contain spaces, e.g. "adaptation type", "background colour" and "colour
coding avoidance". These names are what we call the "Local Unique IDs".
* The example preference sets I have seen so far typically use camel case
for these names, e.g. screenEnhancement, foregroundColor, etc.
* We wanted to use URIs as property names (see item 3 at
<http://wiki.gpii.net/index.php/Discussion_on_Profile_Structure>.
* In URIs, spaces are special characters that need to be percent-encoded;
see RFC 3986: "Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax":
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-2.1>. For example, a space
would be encoded as %20.

So the question is: Do we want to keep the spaces in the names and
percent-encode them in URIs, or should we rename our Local Unique IDs in
camel case to avoid percent-encoding of space characters? (Or is the
Registry going to provide an API that does automatic conversion between
camel case and the notation with spaces?)

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe